In 2015 Northamptonshire County Archery Society launched the NCAS Chris Mason Celebration League.
Both the Senior and Junior NCAS Chris Mason Celebration Leagues are open to all archers who are members of clubs within Northamptonshire. It’s aim is to encourage as many club archers as possible to attend local tournaments. Something that Chris was always a big advocate of. If you shoot in at least one of the listed local tournaments (see the NCAS Calendar) then you’re automatically entered into the league.
The league has been designed to allow all archers, male, female, any bow discipline to compete against each other over both the indoor and outdoor season. It runs from the start of the indoor season in October with the Kettering Archers Chris Mason Memorial Worcester, ending at the county outdoor championships in September. The league’s are updated on a regular basis on this page so all archers will be able to see how they are doing. Trophies for the winners and certificates for the top 10 runners up, will be awarded at the County AGM in November.
RULES UPDATE – For the 2019/20 League, the points system has been revised to award all archers for attending and shooting regardless of category. The additional points for placing 3rd, 2nd or 1st, will still only apply to those how have shot within category. For clarity, shooting within category means that archers shoot the correct round and distance for their age-group. A list of the outdoor rounds including age groups can be found here.
The points system is as follows:
- 3 points for attending and competing, regardless of category
- 3 points for first, 2 points for second, 1 point for third (when 3 or more archers shooting in a bowstyle, within category)
- 2 points for first, 1 point for second (when only 2 archers are shooting in a bowstyle, within category)
- 1 point (when only 1 archer shooting in a bowstyle, within category)
- Archers will only be placed against other county archers, for example if there are to be 10 archers in a bow style and 5 are from out of county then points will be awarded to the first, second and third highest scoring county archers irrespective of where they are placed overall
- Points are only awarded to those who complete the round/tournament and receive a placing.
For full rules click here.
Please make sure that you always use the same name when entering competitions (e.g Bob or Robert) and clubs make sure that archers clubs is also on the results sheet.
2015/16 saw the first league season get off to a good start, with over 100 archers logging points within the league. But the county would still like to see many more archers venturing out to take part in competitions away from their own clubs.
One of the great things about shooting local competitions is getting to meet other archers from around the county. Northants is like ‘one big club’ as has been said many times over the years. Going to shoots helps to support the host club, as well as providing the possibility of more archers being available for county squad/team selection. In the past few years there has been a large gap between the county team archers and regular club archers, mainly due to the lack of archers attending competitions and making themselves available.
Any questions regarding the league, please email Dean Edwards: email@example.com