Today I had the privilege of standing in for Martin Ross as county captain as the NCAS junior team took part in the EMAS inter counties tournament for the Sydney Bond Trophy (Recurve) & Bingham Ceramics trophy (Compound).
After a wild day of weather on Saturday I was relieved to wake up to a calm breeze and the early signs of a sunny Sunday. At least I could be sure I wasn’t going to loose any of my junior team to Wizard of Oz style winds which had been my concern on Saturday!!
As we arrived the sun disappeared and as assembly started we saw the beginnings of some heavy rain!!
The juniors stayed in good spirits and got on with it and were rewarded with the return of the sunshine with scattered showers. The rain was bearable it was the mud that was the bigger issue!!
Throughout the day our recurve team maintained a steady 3rd position whilst the compounds shot well but were in last place.
As always the spirit of the Northampton team shone through and I am proud to have been their captain today. No complaining and lots of supporting each other, as teams should do.
All archers who shot at the Tri-counties match back in October 2014, can all those who won a Trophy at the shoot, please return back to me at the county champs! Or bring to the shoot on this years match on 25th September 2016 if you are selected for the squad.
Due to various reasons outside my control I have decided to not put a team into the upcoming Thoresby Match which was to take place on the 04/09/2016. For those archers who have accepted the invite and were able to shoot please except my sincere apologies as I know you will be disappointed.
I hope this will not be a sign of things to come and as such I would like to know what the archers think in regards to the following. If we as a county are not able to fulfil the required quantity to make up a team for such an event as for example ‘Thorseby’ (which has never reduced team size if a county who cannot field a full team on the day)
Do I as the Captain.
1. Instruct those who have agreed to represent the county – that we are not able to fulfil the required team
a. Let the archer decide if they still want to shoot
i. If they do still send them to the shoot
2. Have the archers agreed to shoot vote on do we still send whom we have and take the majority and go with the result.
3. Pull the team and send no one.
I’m more than happy to discuss this with anyone or you can let your club Representatives ‘Selectors’ now and they can pass your verdict onto me.
This is a question to all Northants archers those who have shot on the squad and for those who will soon be shooting at competitions and may be asked to represent the county one day.